Your Role in Better Security
How You Can Enhance Neighborhood Security
What do you look for?
1. Someone screaming or shouting for help.
2. Someone looking into windows and parked cars.
3. Highly unusual noises, such as breaking glass or hamming of boards
4. You see property being taken out of houses where no one is at home.
5. Cars, vans, or trucks moving slowly and continuously through your block with no apparent destination, or without lights.
6. Anyone being forced into a vehicle.
7. An obvious stranger stopping to talk to a child lacking parental supervision.
8. Cars parked on our streets for extended periods of time.
How do You report suspicious activity?
1. Call the Walton County Sheriff’s dispatch number (850) 892-8111) or call 911.
2. Give your name and address.
3. Briefly describe the event - what happened, when, where, and who was involved.
4. Describe the suspect: sex and race, age, height, weight, hair color, clothing, distinctive characteristics such as beard, mustache, scars, or accent.
5. Describe the vehicle if one was involved. License number would be helpful.
What Can You Personally Do?
1. Lock your car if you leave it parked outside your residence.
2. Close your garage door at night
3. Turn on your security system if installed
4. Be careful about leaving valuable furniture outside
5. Don't leave valuable equipment in the open bed of trucks
BE AWARE - BE WATCHFUL – ITS YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD